Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Welcome Home Elder Pickett!

Last Tuesday as we were getting ready to go up to Washington for our open house we got a call from my Dad on the 4th of July that Kevin was coming home.  So Katie, Christian, Sophia, and Savannah and I piled into the car on Tuesday afternoon to drive up there.  We didn't want to miss him! 

Kevin has been serving his mission in the Dominican Republic for the last 20 months.  For the past 10 months he has been sick with so many different diseases.  He has been fighting so hard to stay in the DR and his faith the past 20 months has blown me away.  I am so so so proud of my brother.  He is such a good example to my family and I.  This past week has been very emotional.  As much as we wish that Kevin could still be in the DR.. I am so thankful that he is finally in a place that he able to receive medical care.  He has sacrificed so much in his mission and I am so proud of him.  He has been such an example to me of just putting your trust in the Lord.  The Lord knew there was something different that Kevin is supposed to be doing at this time so that is why he is home.  I am so proud of you brother!! You were and still are such an amazing missionary!! Keep fighting to get better :)

On Thursday night we had a poster making party so we could welcome him home! 






We went to the airport to go pick him up.  I'm not sure I have ever been so anxious to see someone! 
We were so excited to see him coming down the walkway, we all cheered as soon as we saw him. 









 I'm sure that coming home was a little overwhelming for Kevin. haha He came home to 4 little kids that used to be babies, a pregnant sister, and a new brother.  But, he handled it all like a champ! haha When he got off the plane he was shaky and very weak.  It was hard to see him in that condition.  When we would ask him a question he would just stare at us with a huge smile on his face.  He was trying so hard to hide his sickness.  This whole week he has had such a positive attitude.  I am so proud of him and all of his accomplishments.  He has done so much good in the past 20 months and I know that he will keep doing good in the years to come!  I am so happy that we could be there for his welcome home and spend a couple of days with him!
Welcome home Elder Pickett!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment